A configuration error was detected in the CGI script; the LAYOUT-DATA-WRAPPER template could not be found. -- (#985)
From:
Alison Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alison Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2012 18:29:17 +0000
Please see below correspondence from OCLC concerning the search oddities experience earlier this week.

CDL Information Services
California Digital Library
University of California - Office of the President
415 20th Street, 4th Floor
Oakland, CA 94612-2901
[log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
CDL Privacy Policy: http://www.cdlib.org/about/privacy.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for current WorldCat Local customers. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pozenel,Mindy
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 8:28 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCLC-WCL-L] WMS and WorldCat Local Outages

Dear WMS and WorldCat Local Libraries,

This summer, OCLC began the replacement of a major part of its database infrastructure, primarily powered by a relational database, to support for the big data infrastructure of Hadoop.  You're all aware of the unprecedented growth of WorldCat in the last several years, the addition of the WorldCat knowledge base, and the addition of millions of records to the WorldCat Local central index.  As in so many other industries, OCLC must support a big data strategy.  The switch away from a relational database to Hadoop is also consistent with OCLC's mission to reduce the rate of rise of library costs, and in line with the product strategy to provide faster and better access to library data.

The project was scoped so that it would be done in phases and have a minimal impact on existing products.  It's clear now that for the latest phase there was a substantial impact on both WorldShare Management Services and WorldCat Local.  Many of the performance, timeout, and unexpected errors that you have been encountering over the last several weeks were a direct result of this major infrastructure change.  Great efforts were made to fix problems as they arose and keep moving forward, but with the outages that occurred on 5 September, the decision was made to revert back one step to the prior infrastructure we were using.

Several teams are working to enhance the development, quality assurance and production deployment of the new infrastructure.  This includes new additional automated tests that will address the unanticipated impact that we have now all witnessed first-hand.  It is with great sincerity and a huge dose of humility that we apologize for the disruption that was caused, especially during such a busy season for so many of you.

The roll-back to the previous database infrastructure has addressed the outage issues and improved performance for most users.  We are still seeing a few unexpected results and occasional response-time issues.  If you continue to experience any problems, please contact the OCLC Help Desk as soon as you can with as much detail as possible so that we can efficiently and effectively address any remaining issues.

Again, we apologize for the disruption in service and please know that we are doing everything we can to ensure smoother upgrades to our cloud infrastructure in the future.

Sincerely,

Andrew K. Pace
Executive Director, Networked Library Services
OCLC

Mindy Pozenel
Director, WorldCat Discovery Services
OCLC