ProQuest has informed the CDL that in its upcoming launch of ProQuest version 6.0 (scheduled for July 28, 2002), in which several enhancements will be available, ProQuest will also implement UC-eLinks in ABI/INFORM Global.

To install ProQuest 6.0, ProQuest will take a maintenance window from Saturday, July 27 at 7 p.m. (PT) until Sunday, July 28 at 7 a.m.  During this time, ProQuest will be unavailable. For additional details, see below.

ProQuest version 6.0 is scheduled to launch on July 28, 2002. For an introduction to the ProQuest 6.0 release, visit
http://www.proquest.com/proquest/features/feature-03/default.shtml. Take special note of the new CrossLinks icon, a symbol resembling our full text icon with a red arrow overlay. For a virtual walk through 6.0 features, visit http://www.proquest.com/proquest/features/feature-03/Preview/index.HTML.

As a reminder, the new ProQuest 6.0 interface will include enhanced tools and features for linking, extensive coverage date information, a new title list system, French and German user interfaces, Browse Lists enhancements, citation export enhancements, improved flexibility within Recent Searches, and one-click printing.

Local administrators will enjoy the ProQuest CrossLinks Local Holdings Administrator. The Administrator provides a convenient method to set up and maintain links from ProQuest holdings to other full-text resources such as ejournals, aggregator databases, SFX, and library OPACs. (ProQuest has supported Open URL linking since the 4.1 release in January 2001, when CrossLinks was originally introduced.) Predefined links are provided for popular services such as SFX and linking partners including Swets Blackwell, Ingenta, OCLC, Academic Press, and the American Institute of Physics. ProQuest customers can also create custom predefined links to their library's electronic resources.

Additional information for your staff, including updated training materials, is available in the Training Resource Center at
http://training.proquest.com.

Please note again that, with the release of ProQuest 6.0, browser requirements will be slightly updated. Netscape versions 4.07 and earlier will no longer be supported. Our data indicates that less than one-half of one percent of users access ProQuest with these browser versions. While we regret any inconvenience to affected customers, it is necessary to stay up-to-date with current browsers to ensure the highest quality of service.

We hope you and your users will enjoy this new ProQuest functionality. We welcome your e-mail comments at [log in to unmask]

Jayne Dickson
Information Services Analyst
California Digital Library
University of California - Office of the President
415 20th Street, 4th Floor
Oakland, CA 94612-2901
510.987.0550