Ironically, I was denied access to read until I logged into VPN…

https://www.science.org/content/article/bold-bid-avoid-open-access-fees-gates-foundation-says-grantees-must-post-preprints

“Starting in 2025, the foundation will require grantees to post as preprints all manuscripts that result from research it funds. It will also stop paying for researchers to publish their papers in journals that charge a fee to make papers free.

The Gates foundation says the preprint mandate is needed to accelerate the dissemination of research findings and because too many authors cannot afford publishing fees. It also wants other science funders to follow suit.”

Allegra

Allegra Swift | Scholarly Communications Librarian
UC San Diego Library | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2160-6960<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/orcid.org/0000-0003-2160-6960__;!!Mih3wA!T4VGrOddoXVXKPPma1Jsrb8K48j5_4YLcieiGQd8hdzHjhbBDT0Tuwc0YsL7fljm$>
Pronouns: she, her, hers / Why do pronouns matter<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.mypronouns.org/what-and-why/__;!!Mih3wA!T4VGrOddoXVXKPPma1Jsrb8K48j5_4YLcieiGQd8hdzHjhbBDT0Tuwc0YkZ8I60b$>?

Find a time to meet that works for you on my calendar link<https://escholarship.org/uc/challengerresearchjournal>.

Info on scholarly communications services and resources<https://ucsd.libguides.com/ScholComm/Home>.
Twitter: @UCSDScholCom<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/twitter.com/ucsdscholcom__;!!Mih3wA!T4VGrOddoXVXKPPma1Jsrb8K48j5_4YLcieiGQd8hdzHjhbBDT0Tuwc0Yi8LJNUc$> | Blog: CONDUIT<https://knit.ucsd.edu/scholcomm/>

UC resource on EDI in scholarly communication<https://osc.universityofcalifornia.edu/scholarly-publishing/diversity-equity-and-inclusion-in-scholarly-communication/>.
In the spirit of healing, I acknowledge and honor the Kumeyaay<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/native-land.ca/maps/territories/kumeyaay/__;!!Mih3wA!T4VGrOddoXVXKPPma1Jsrb8K48j5_4YLcieiGQd8hdzHjhbBDT0Tuwc0YjmQDbT0$>
and all of the original Indigenous peoples of the land upon which
UC San Diego stands. / Whose land are you on?<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/native-land.ca/__;!!Mih3wA!T4VGrOddoXVXKPPma1Jsrb8K48j5_4YLcieiGQd8hdzHjhbBDT0Tuwc0Yh1o3SfC$>