To:       Users Council (for distribution and information)

UC Libraries Advisory Structure (for distribution and information) via Marlo Young

LAUC (for distribution and information) via Nick Robinson

CoUL (for information)

From:   Adrian Turner ([log in to unmask]) for the CDL, Access & Publishing Group, Digital Special Collections team

RE:       Update on CDL/UC Libraries participation in DPLA

Following on previous communications this year, we are writing to provide an update on activities to launch the CDL as a new Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) Content Hub, on behalf of the UC Libraries and with the endorsement of the Council of University Librarians.

In its role as a DPLA Content Hub, CDL will be sharing metadata records from Calisphere, a website with approximately 250,000 digital primary source objects contributed by libraries, archives, and museums across the state -- including unique content from across the UC Libraries. Because of the increased exposure, the UC Libraries' digital resources will have a broader, nationwide audience that will be able to find and discover unique collections maintained across the libraries.

We are very excited about the additional exposure of UC Libraries' collections in Calisphere through DPLA.

The Highlights:

·         No action is required on the part of the UC Libraries. We will be coordinating work with DPLA to harvest metadata records from Calisphere, for subsequent exposure through DPLA's portal.

·         Metadata records for UC Libraries digital objects currently in Calisphere will automatically appear on the DPLA in early 2015. Prospectively, metadata records for any new digital objects added to Calisphere will also be shared with DPLA.

·         Metadata records for digital objects will be openly available and searchable on DPLA's public website (just as it already is on Calisphere). As a condition of participation, which has been endorsed by the Council of University Librarians, the metadata records will be shared with DPLA under a Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication (CC0).

Looking ahead

As a first step in this process of launching as a DPLA Content Hub, CDL will be sharing metadata records with DPLA for collections that are currently available in Calisphere.   Later, in mid-2015, the UC Libraries will be able to share an even broader range of resources with DPLA when those digital collections not currently represented in Calisphere will be included under the umbrella of the UC Libraries Digital Collection (UCLDC) project and shared with DPLA by using the systemwide harvesting and indexing platform that is currently under development as part of UCLDC.

The UCLDC will comprise a systemwide, flexible  platform for building, managing, and providing access to digital content across the UC Libraries. This includes content managed through a shared Digital Asset Management System (DAMS), as well as content that will be harvested or crawled from UC campus library-specific systems (e.g., locally-used DAMS).

An existing CDL team (Access & Publishing Group, Digital Special Collections team) is leading work on the DPLA Content Hub launch. This team is currently responsible for the maintenance and development of Calisphere, as well as the implementation of the UCLDC project.

For more information
You can find more specific information about the DPLA Content Hub launch -- including FAQs and additional resources -- on the following wiki:

https://wiki.library.ucsf.edu/display/DPLA

If you have questions about the launch or any of the processes associated with exposing metadata records to DPLA, please contact us at [log in to unmask].  Besides adding information to the DPLA Content Hub wiki as we make progress toward our objectives, we be providing additional targeted updates, so that you can stay apprised of significant developments.

Adrian Turner

California Digital Library

http://www.cdlib.org