CAUTION: EXTERNAL EMAIL

Hi Martha,

I was talking to someone on another campus about where to post something else previously unpublished, when the author's home department didn't have an active presence in eScholarship. It was an article preprint, but similar issues. This is what I told them:

The next thing that occurred to me is figshare - I think they're pretty easy to use, and everything you put in there gets a DOI. They're pretty agnostic about content type.

I also found this list of preprint servers from ASAPBio - https://asapbio.org/preprint-servers - and a similar one on Wikipeda - https://asapbio.org/preprint-servers . There are some multidisciplinary options in there that might work, although ArXiv does seem like the best fit. One I hadn't thought of until I saw it on the list is Zenodo. Apparently they also welcome preprints, and like Figshare I think they don't do any kind of review, it's unmediated. (They may also give you a DOI). FWIW, Zenodo is operated by CERN (and a partner of Dryad!), whereas Figshare is part of DigitalScience.

Zenodo or figshare, or, as Tim points out, Humanities Commons might all be good fits. Your author might also find the OAPEN guide helpful, e.g. https://oabooks-toolkit.org/lifecycle/3042319-consider-publishing-options/article/4149211-self-publishing-your-open-access-book

Best,
Katie