Good morning,

At Irvine the library works with Graduate Division on the review and author submission of Ph.D. and Masters theses/dissertations to ProQuest as part of the Policy on Open Access for Theses and Dissertations.

A question came out during discussions about workflow about print submissions.  The figures I have are a few years old but in ten years of data I have for our campus OA dissertation policies prior to 2020 there were only 5 or 6 printed dissertations submitted to Special Collections for cataloging.  As a result of the small numbers, Irvine is looking to remove the option for print submission.  In the discussion there was speculation that submitting only print would be a way to "hide" the dissertation and limit access.  The UCI  Dean of Graduate division is responsible for the policy about what may be granted longer embargo or how the author can comply with university policy for preservation archiving.

What are your local practices for print submission of theses or dissertations?  Irvine deposits masters theses if submitted by the author. Some masters programs do not require theses.

With thanks,

Mitchell

[cid:image001.jpg@01D988B0.B6488D50]
Mitchell C. Brown, MLIS
Scholarly Communications Coordinator
Research Librarian for Chemistry, Earth System Science, and Russian Studies
University of California Irvine Libraries<http://www.lib.uci.edu/>
230 Science Library
P.O. Box 19557, Irvine, CA 92623-9557
ZOT Code 8200-40    [iD_15x15]  0000-0002-3366-1281<https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3366-1281>
Schedule appointments: http://spaces.lib.uci.edu/appointments/dss
Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>      Phone: 949-824-9732