SCHOLARPUB-L Archives

Scholarly Communications CKG

SCHOLARPUB-L@LISTSERV.UCOP.EDU

From:
Katie Fortney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katie Fortney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2022 09:51:31 -0800
CAUTION: This email originated from outside the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

The difference between a library license and publisher contracts is that usually in a library license we say "we will not use the content for X," and if we say that, we're breaching our contract to do X later, even if would be fair use. I don't think I've seen a publication contract where the author is being asked to agree that "I will not post my AAM on a repository in the next year." Instead they usually talk about what rights the author has. Looking at a recent Elsevier example, I see "I understand that I retain or am hereby granted... the Author Rights. ... The Author Rights include ... sharing... the Accepted Manuscript on certain websites and usually after an embargo period."
Adn like Rachael said, we don't care what rights the author has, because we're relying on the rights the University has through that prior license.

-Katie