SCHOLARPUB-L Archives

Scholarly Communications CKG

SCHOLARPUB-L@LISTSERV.UCOP.EDU

From:
"Brennan, Martin J." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brennan, Martin J.
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2023 13:23:54 +0000
Tim,

Thanks for this.

That kicker has me thinking – perhaps this whole current landscape, with APC coverage available through major & mostly commercial journals’ subscription packages, is leading to an author’s propensity to pick those journals over society journals and smaller publishers, further diminishing their ability to draw the good abstracts from authors.  I doubt I ‘m the first to formulate this problem, but I wonder if there is any effort to combat this, to keep it from driving publishing choices over the coming years?  I’d hate to think our system will accelerate this divide with our efforts.

Cheers,

Marty

Martin J. Brennan, MLS

Scholarly Communication Education Librarian

Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA

Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575