SCHOLARPUB-L Archives

Scholarly Communications CKG

SCHOLARPUB-L@LISTSERV.UCOP.EDU

From:
"Swift, Allegra" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Swift, Allegra
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2023 19:03:08 +0000
Hello all,

I have a question for you about aligning RIMs. I feel like this question might be coming your way as well.

You may or may not have heard that UCOLASC Chair, John Hildebrand (UCSD SIO) is pushing for compliance on the UC OA policy as a way for increasing participation in the TAs, OA publishing,  and eScholarship.

John had contacted by our Office of Academic Affairs to incorporate some requirements when compiling faculty files for P&T. AA then contact me for a primer on the OA policies, or as they put it, an OA 101.

They (AA) have difficulty in getting faculty to enter data (much less clean data) in their system, Interfolio Faculty 180 and want it to be a streamlined, one-touch process to encourage participation. This is the same conversation we had on our campus a few years back (remember the RIMs report?)

They want to:

  1.  Streamline faculty efforts – entering information in one place that connects and pushes information to other systems

  2.  Encourage faculty participation (see #1)

  3.  Get clean and accurate information/data (also see #1). I understand much of the issue here is bad metadata entered at point of publication and the lack of cooperation between proprietary systems

  4.  More complete reporting (see #3)

My question to you is: are any of you aware of your campuses, in any of the ORA offices, utilizing  and connecting systems like the UCPMS, Interfolio180, Dimensions, ORCiD, Pure, etc?

I was told that UCLA was and tried the name they gave me, Heather Small, but haven’t heard back.

Alainna gave me some useful information :

Per Symplectic and my recollection, there are no RIMS-to-RIMS/FIMS connections for Symplectic Elements and Faculty 180(F180), unless there are custom solutions built by users of both systems that have been made public. I can recall from discussions with ORCID members that some had both Elements and other RIMS/FIMS platforms (eg IRMA), and regarded ORCID as a bridge between the two. ​

One could likely create a custom system which integrates with both in order to exchange data between the two. For example, the "UCSDBridgeSystem" could be built which has a) an API or Reporting Database connection with the UCPMS, and b) an API or other data connection with UCSDF180. UC Davis, for example, are currently building an integration between their "Aggie Profiles" system (VIVO) with the UCPMS.

​

We are starting to build out a section on the help desk for those who wish to integrate, including case studies of active integrations. We haven't yet finished the more "marketing" style documentation targetting those with less familiarity with the system, however.

https://help.oapolicy.universityofcalifornia.edu/support/solutions/folders/9000199098<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/help.oapolicy.universityofcalifornia.edu/support/solutions/folders/9000199098__;!!Mih3wA!A52QUJ_DI41sCgSHLNtdkwxVvABVQyFnIicrJ4MOE44or2Z9TCw3NbTxrkRb_iqHsJuIZigwBJBl673V9zzGEosRd5lZMOErar9mFbo%24>

Could anyone point me to someone on your campus who is doing this? Do you have documentation or reports you could share?

Allegra

Allegra Swift | Scholarly Communications Librarian

UC San Diego Library | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2160-6960<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/orcid.org/0000-0003-2160-6960__;!!Mih3wA!T4VGrOddoXVXKPPma1Jsrb8K48j5_4YLcieiGQd8hdzHjhbBDT0Tuwc0YsL7fljm$>

Pronouns: she, her, hers / Why do pronouns matter<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.mypronouns.org/what-and-why/__;!!Mih3wA!T4VGrOddoXVXKPPma1Jsrb8K48j5_4YLcieiGQd8hdzHjhbBDT0Tuwc0YkZ8I60b$>?

Meet: here's my calendar link<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/calendly.com/akswift__;!!Mih3wA!T4VGrOddoXVXKPPma1Jsrb8K48j5_4YLcieiGQd8hdzHjhbBDT0Tuwc0YmeRYxWX$> to make finding time easy.

Info on services and resources: lib.ucsd.edu/schol-comm

Twitter: @UCSDScholCom<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/twitter.com/ucsdscholcom__;!!Mih3wA!T4VGrOddoXVXKPPma1Jsrb8K48j5_4YLcieiGQd8hdzHjhbBDT0Tuwc0Yi8LJNUc$> | Blog: CONDUIT<https://knit.ucsd.edu/scholcomm/>

UC resource on EDI in scholarly communication<https://osc.universityofcalifornia.edu/scholarly-publishing/diversity-equity-and-inclusion-in-scholarly-communication/>.

In the spirit of healing, I acknowledge and honor the Kumeyaay<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/native-land.ca/maps/territories/kumeyaay/__;!!Mih3wA!T4VGrOddoXVXKPPma1Jsrb8K48j5_4YLcieiGQd8hdzHjhbBDT0Tuwc0YjmQDbT0$> and all of the original Indigenous peoples of the land upon which UC San Diego stands. / Whose land are you on?<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/native-land.ca/__;!!Mih3wA!T4VGrOddoXVXKPPma1Jsrb8K48j5_4YLcieiGQd8hdzHjhbBDT0Tuwc0Yh1o3SfC$>