SCHOLARPUB-L Archives

Scholarly Communications CKG

SCHOLARPUB-L@LISTSERV.UCOP.EDU

From:
Timothy Vollmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Timothy Vollmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2023 10:45:21 -0800
Dear SCCKG:

CDL and the Joint Steering Committee for Shared Collections (JSC) are
conducting their annual call to the CKGs about ideas for one-time
systemwide purchases. Michael and I would like to get your input on
resources our group should recommend. Note that open access resources may
be included. There's a limit of 3 recommended new purchases per CKG.

Please share your ideas with the group by the end of day *Tuesday, February
7*. The survey (attached) is looking for:

   1. Name of the resource you're recommending
   2. Publisher/vendor
   3. Estimated or proposed cost of the resource
   4. Whether any campuses already subscribe
   5. Brief description of what the resource is
   6. Why it's appropriate for systemwide investment

After February 7, Michael and I will compile and submit on behalf of the
SCCKG. For context, here are some recent systemwide investments (some I
think arising from this JSC call):

*2021* investments related to schol-comm:
https://cdlib.org/cdlinfo/2021/08/17/new-scholarly-communication-investments-by-cdl/

   - Directory of Open Access Books and OAPEN
   - Open Access Switchboard
   - OpenCitations
   - PsyArXiv
   - SCOAP3 Books

*2022 *investments related to schol-comm:
https://cdlib.org/cdlinfo/2022/07/11/new-scholarly-communication-investments-by-cdl-2022/

   - American Indian Culture and Research Journal
   - SciPost
   - Open Education Network
   - DSpace
   - ArXiv
   - Open Access Switchboard
   - Directory of Open Access Journals
   - Directory of Open Access Books
   - PsyArXiv

One resource I was thinking of suggesting is the Open Access Community
Investment Program <https://www.lyrasis.org/content/Pages/oacip.aspx>
(OACIP). OACIP is a community-driven crowdfunding framework that enables
libraries and other stakeholders to support diamond open access journal
publishing. You can see that some UC schools and CDL have already committed
funding to some of the journals open for investment. This would be another
way for UC to continue to support non-APC based OA publishing discussed as
part of Pathways to Open Access <https://escholarship.org/uc/item/5gc4r5mg>
.

Apparently Project Muse, MIT, UC Press, and Oxford University Press are
already under consideration for funding so we don't need to recommend them.

Michael and I suggest we also take the same tactic as last year and respond
with "no opinion" on the subject-specific individual resources that will
potentially be renewed. IMO our focus should be on putting forward any
systemwide schol-comm related purchases/investments.

Thanks,

Tim + Michael